When doingapplique , we often use the standard satin stitch foot or, more recently, the open toe satin stitch foot for greater visibility. However, Janome also has a dedicated "Applique Foot" in its range of accessories which really makes this creative task so much easier. It also has the added benefit of an elevated heal which allows a close satin stitch to be sewn and move more smoothly without being flattened into the fabric. It is also shorter than the other feet making it easier for manoeuvring around curves and corners which can sometimes be a little tricky. (A great addition to your sewing box.)
*Please note: Because of the elevated heel on this foot it is only compatible with machines that have the extra heel ledge on the back of the foot holder.
How to use theapplique foot:
- Set your machine to theapplique or zigzag stitch.
- Your tension should be set to "Auto" or 3-5.
- The stitch length should be 1-2.5 (zigzag stitch) and the width should be 2.5-5.
- To turn corners lower the needle at the outer edge of theapplique and raise the presser foot.
- Pivot the fabric around the needle and then lower the presser foot.
- Start sewing in the new direction.